The benefits of bunk beds in a kid’s room are somewhat obvious but a few things you may want to bear in mind include the following.
- Are you planning on giving the kids a room of their own at some point? If so, bunk beds that will split easily into two single beds are going to be a good investment.
- Do you kids spend a lot of time playing in their rooms? If they do, it’s a safe bet they’ll use their bed as a climbing frame, as a trampoline or a place where all their friends can sit. In which case, investing a sturdy wooden frame that can take a bit of wear is going to make sense.
- Is the room spacious or tiny? White painted beds will help make a small room seem bigger while natural wood finishes have the opposite effect, especially dark shades.
- How much money do you want to spend? While it can be true that you get what you pay for it’s also true that a bed that costs £500 isn’t necessarily twice as good as one that costs just £250. In other words, buy the best bed you can afford but don’t go mad – it’s only a bed. That said, if you do want to buy an expensive bed, have a look on eBay and see how popular they are as a second-hand option. If you can sell the bed on after a couple of years it can make a lot of sense. John Lewis beds are especially popular on the pre-owned market.
- And, lastly, what style of bed do you want – stick to basics or something more modern? Practicality is key and a bed with a lot of fancy features is probably not going to be good value long term.
This a selection of some of the most popular bunk beds. Please bear in mind that you’ll also have to buy mattresses at extra cost unless stated otherwise.
Kidspace Cyber Bunk Bed – a budget option with a silver-painted, tubular metal frame and coloured panels in black, blue, pink or green. L197 × W98.5 × H153 cm. £149 (plus standard delivery charge of £19.99 or £24.99) from very.co.uk
New Novara Bunkbed – a solid pine frame with traditional style slatted head and footboards. Splits into two separate beds too. Available in pine or painted white. L202.5 × W98 × H150 cm. Buy the frame only or with a choice of mattresses. From £249 (plus standard delivery charge of £19.99 or £24.99) at very.co.uk
Wilton Bunk Bed – a great value bunk bed available in white or natural. Features a solid pine frame and a solid wood slatted base. L198 × W105 × H153 cm. £249 from johnlewis.com
Stompa Originals Multi Bunk Bed – a contemporary style bed frame with a no-nonsense design and built-in ladder. W208 × D105 × H161 cm. £459 from johnlewis.com
Morgan Story Time Bunk Bed – a premium quality bed with a solid oak frame and a natural lacquered finish. A feature of this bed is the space between the top and bottom bunk which is a higher than normal. L199 × W97 × H176 cm. £599 from johnlewis.com
Maysar Solid Pine Twin Bunk Beds – solid pine beds available in white, taupe, charcoal grey and natural. W200 × D105 × H143 cm. £499 from laredoute.co.uk