Using mirrors is a great way to decorate your home, they not only add colour and light to your rooms, mirrors also make great focal points and can help make small rooms look larger.
There is an enormous range of shapes, styles and frame to choose from. When picking out a mirror you need to find one that will enhance the style and décor of your room.
Here are some tips on how to accessorise your room using mirrors.
- Make sure the view from the mirror is attractive before you hang it, so position it to reflect something interesting in the room. For example, a mirror opposite an attractive fireplace and mantel adds a nice touch.
- If your mirror looks lost on the wall where it hanging, place small pictures or a wall lamp on either side or drape a swag of fabric or an arrangement of dried flowers above the frame.
- To create a focal point, instead of using one large mirror, hang a group of smaller mirrors together.
- Use a long, skinny mirror to accentuate the width of a narrow wall space. This is a great trick for halls, entryways and narrow dining rooms.
- Mirrors don’t have to be hung on a wall. Use a smaller, framed mirror to serve as a tray to hold perfumes bottle, cosmetics and jewellery on top of your dressing table or bathroom counter.
- Use mirror tiles for the countertop’s backsplash in your kitchen. They will reflect light where you’re preparing food, and they are easy to keep clean.
- Mirror the backs of bookcases or display shelves to add a sense of depth.
- Hang a decorative mirror near a window in a dark room. This will allow the light to reflect off the mirror creating more natural light in the room.
- A mirror glass table lamp can create a wonderful effect that will set off any room.
- If you have stark, white walls, consider adding an etched glass mirror. Etched glass can be just as decorative as a painting, while adding light. Choose one with a heavy wood frame for extra effect.
- In the bathroom, don’t be tempted to opt for a plain old vanity mirror. Choose something a little different. A unique and stylish touch can be given to your bathroom by using decorative mirrors. For example, frameless mirrors with inset lights will add a modern look to your bathroom. Your bathroom mirror should not be larger than your vanity.
Mirror cleaning tips
The beauty of any mirror will be detracted if the surface is dusty or cloudy. Always use a soft, dust free cloth when cleaning your mirrors. Avoid ammonia solutions, vinegar, or harsh solvents. Always spray the cleaner on your cloth, not the surface of the mirror.
Remember to keep the mirror frame dry. If you find black spots on your mirror that you cannot remove, you may have damaged the silvering behind the mirror’s glass. If that is the case, all you can try is to cover up the spots from the front by painting a small design on the glass or using an etching kit.